Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 May 1992 19:22:15 +0200
On Fri, 1 May 1992 10:01:48 EDT "Richard Seifert, Jr." <MAINT@CLVM> said:

>     I am having a bit of a problem with error mail getting to the owner
>of a list. The owner field of the list looks like
>
>      Owner= [log in to unmask]

The  code that  processes list  header keywords  translates anything  not
within double-quotes to upper case, ending the keyword value at the first
blank encountered. This  is the reason why you can  supply keyword values
in whatever  case you want, and  why you do  not need to use  any special
separator (semicolon or whatever) between keyword/value pairs on the same
line.

Text within double  quotes is kept 'as is', and  may contain blanks; this
is  used to  supply  arbitrary 'Reply-To:'  or  'Sender:' addresses,  for
instance.  However, because  the  value may  contain  blanks, quoting  is
possible only if the  code that acts on the keyword  value is designed to
support  it. For  instance, the  code that  deals with  owners expects  a
blank-separated  list of  RFC822  addresses, and  thus  does not  support
quoted addresses. Even  if you do not  place any blank in  the string, it
will  still not  work because  the quotes  are preserved  in the  keyword
value, in order to  allow the code that uses the value  to locate the end
of the quoted string.

>     The problem is that foo.bar is an IBM workstation running AIX 3.1,

the only brand of un*x I know which will not convert nonexistent all-caps
userids  to  lower   case.  This  means  they  will  have   a  hard  time
communicating with users of systems where  what one types at the keyboard
generally gets translated to upper case.

>     Question: is  there any way to  have LISTSERV preserve the  case of
>the userid that the error mail is being sent to?

The only way  would be to create  a list with that  address as subscriber
and refer to it in the owner field, or something similar.

  Eric