Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:37:48 -0400
>Nathan (et al)
>
>I thought that if the list configuration has "Sender= List,"  the "From:"
>field would have the List address, rather than the original sender's.  If
>fact, if the list configuration also has "Reply-To= List," then the true
>sender's address would NOT BE ANYWHERE in the header.

This is incorrect.  LISTSERV will not alter the From: address in list
mailings.  See http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#5.14 for a
brief discussion of this issue.  (The Sender= parameter controls what
appears in the "Sender:" header.)

>Therefore, If a "bad" client ignores the "Reply-to:" field, wouldn't it use
>the "From:" field, and still send the "out-of-office" message back to the
>list?

Some out-of-office programs might prefer the Sender: address to the
From: or Reply-To: address, others might not.  There aren't really
any standards for how out-of-office programs are supposed to work so
it tends to be kind of random.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support