Steve Middlebrook <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 May 90 16:14:54 CST
On Tue, 29 May 90 16:54:15 EDT Jim Jones said:
> I recently noticed that a number of Listserv lists which are local
> re-distributions of the JHUVM list NIHGDE-L, appear in LISTSERV LISTS.

I recently set up the WUHING-L list primarily for distribution of the
NIH Guide locally.  You have to understand that the NIH's list at JHUVM
is a "closed" list; they will only subscribe the official NIH contacts.
While WUNIHG-L is primarly for the Washingtion Univ. community, I have no
problem with "foreigners" who can't get on the NIH list subscribing to ours.
That's why it isn't hidden from them.

You're right that there ought to be some organization to these "sub-lists,"
but that's really NIH's responsibility.  When I dealt with them, they seemed
pretty confused by it all.  It took two weeks, several phone calls and 3 or 4
people to get our list added to theirs.

I think the real issue here is not about confidential lists but about the
fact that we don't do a good enough job of educating our list owners.  This
listserv stuff isn't immediately comprehensible, especially when you go beyond
the realm of small, local lists.

Steve Middlebrook