"Hiler, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:14:46 -0500
Ömer Köker,

United we stand, divided we fall.

I do not want any organization tampering with my personal mail. I, as a user, want the control to be able to accept or deny mail.

This "Goodmail" idea is just an AOL idea to make money off of spam.
The spam mailers will find a way around it, as always.
It seems the biggest spam abusers have plenty of money to pay their way around it, or hire top notch hackers to get around it.

In the short term:
AOL sees this as another way to squeeze more money out of the economy. Users already get charged for no ads in their pages and next they will also be charged for no mail.
Who wins in this idea? AOL. They get to charge the businesses mailing to their users and the users more.
AOL sees it as a win win.

In the long term:
Our economy is getting tighter. The "baby-boomer generation" is not going to be there to support it much longer.
All businesses including AOL will be begging for any mail they can get in the near future.

In the end those who implement "Goodmail" and those who buy into it will be the losers.

Better filtering down at the user level is the practical answer.
Why stay with an ISP who decides what mail you can receive.

AOL will re-think this if they are smart.

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of A.Omer Koker
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AOL-Goodmail deal: Good Mail or "Goodfellas"?

In addition to my professional roles I also help maintain couple of large non-profit organization mailing lists.  I hate spam, I don't do spam and I have been on the AOL whitelist for almost 2 years and since then have had
very good relations with the postmaster team.

However if this 'goodmail' deal does actually get implemented I will actively NOT ACCEPT AOL subscription and furthermore send out an announcement through our electronic and physical mailing to suggest our members to dump AOL service all together.

I have aprox 45,000 people on my lists and reach close to 200,000 people.  I don't know if I can neither afford to or even if I could afford would want to accept such one sided action to partition the open internet into taxed segments.

AOL is no longer able to ride shotgun based purely on its closed off content offerings as it did 10 years ago, I believe if enough parties decide to ignore and stop servicing AOL boxes, instead of them segmenting the internet we can effectively retire them and/or this decision...

While certified email servers and spam filters are good tools to use in a war against spam what is suggested in the 'aol-goodmail' deal, pretty much an email tax, is unfortuantely arrogant and potentially an ill-concieved plan to create an additional revenue stream from spam instead of working towards providing a better service for their users.

Sincerely,

A. Ömer Köker
'Execution is the missing link between aspirations and results'