Scott Earley <SCOTT@BITNIC>
Wed, 10 Aug 88 12:06:04 EDT
(I'm not on this list, please cc: SCOTT@BITNIC)

BITNIC's LISTSERV log files close to filling up its 193 disk.  I'm
wondering if there's any concensus or standard method of archiving
the LOGyymm files.  I had a simple idea to use CMS TAPE DUMP on a
quarterly basis to store all logs more than one year old.  That's
the easy part, since it's our machine and our archive procedure.  It
gets difficult when you try and define a retrieval method for the
network.  Should there be one at all?  How about creating files
from the "LIST filied (EXEC" command, using it as an EXEC to do the
dump, then edit/rename it something clever (like LOGyymm ARCHIVE) and
stuff that file onto LISTSERV and into its FILELIST structure.
Then you have to define the ground rules for retrieving them -- weekly;
alternate Tuesdays at 3am; monthly; after 10 requests accrue; never ....

I bet Eric already wrote a LSVARCH EXEC and it was shipped yesterday :-)

NB: I checked LSV_ARCH and also searched all the MEMO files for 'archive'
before sending this.

PS: I'll bring this up at 8/13 BITTECH mtg, and may re-send to that list.