Eric Prestemon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 18:58:46 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Len Rugen  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Is there any way to tell LISTSERV to to NOT send these errors to the
>list owner?  The message below is generated by DB2-L postings.
>
>I wish these mailers whould just be patient....
>
>Thanks

[lots of ugly headers deleted]
>Warning: message still undelivered after 5 days
>Will keep trying until message is 1 week, 3 days old

Since I set this machine (atlanta.american.edu) up, I guess I should
respond. I have seen mails on LSTOWN-L that say:
"Can you believe the insensitivity of mailers that don't notify you for
8 days that mail isn't going through? I get an extra 8 days of bounces
as a result, even after I delete the person!"

And now one that says: "Don't notify me after 5 days that there is a
problem. That's too early."

So, should I set the warning notification time to 6 or 7 days? Clearly,
that's not what anyone wants. So, what should I do? Just turning off the
warnings would mean the listowner wouldn't get notified for 10 days.
That's even worse for the people in the first group.

I don't see how to please everyone in this situation.

-Eric