Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:48:24 -0400
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:12:20 EDT, Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> However, an up-to-date lsv module is already supplied, so nothing happens.
> Since I wanted my our libraries linked, I did the following command, which is
> discussed under data base support. (We don't use any DBMS.)

> mv lsv lsv.lsoft
> cc -o lsv lsv.o no*.o
>
> Does this make sense?

No.

A quick 'dump -H lsv' of the LSoft-supplied binary shows it with a reference
to a shared copy of libc.a - so it will automatically use the current system
libc.a, no linking required.

If you re-link it with that command line, you'll still end up with one reference
to the system libc.a.

If in fact you wanted to link in your own libraries (for example, to link
in the BIND name resolver instead of the IBM one), you'd have to provide
appropriate -l flags ("-lbind", etc) and possibly -L flags as well

/Valdis (who is admittedly confoozled as to what you're trying to do)