Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:41:30 -0500
Stan Horwitz wrote:

> My understanding is that spamcop runs a test for an open relay before
> it adds any IP addresses to its blacklist. Are you saying my understanding
> is incorrect?

To the best of my knowledge, SpamCop does not perform any open relay tests.
We use the SpamCop blacklist and occasionally receive complaints that we
are blocking legitimate email. As part of the process to determine whether
we should whitelist a particular IP address that has been blacklisted by
SpamCop, we run an open relay test, and most blacklisted systems pass the
test.

To the best of my knowledge, SpamCop does not blacklist on the basis of a
single complaint. Either there were multiple complaints about messages from
a single IP address, or messages from that IP address were sent to spamtrap
addresses, or both.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator