Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Aug 1993 21:09:58 -0400
On Aug 1, 22:12, "L. Detweiler" wrote:

} I request that if you don't have the aptitude to correctly ameliorate
} this problem, please seek help from someone who CAN!  Setting up a
} service such as yours requires a minimum level of care, responsiveness,
} and attention to detail which appears to be lacking on your part!  The
} gateway is NEVER to return messages to the original poster, who is NOT
} RESPONSIBLE for the clumsy problems of every gateway in cyberspace.

At about the same time it last happened to you, it also happened to me.
I started pursuing it, and the upshot was that I got subscribed to the
LSTSRV-L list.  There was a lively discussion on this, including with
the author of LISTSERV, Eric Thomas.

I assure you, this isn't on account of any incompetence on Una's part.

As I understand it, there are two gateways involved.  One that is gateing
news into mail, and the second is gating the mail into a LISTSERV list.
It is the second gateway which is doing the duplicate checks.  The problem
is that there is no way for the second gateway to tell that the item
originated on news.

Eric was indeed interested in coming up with a solution of some sort.
About the only possible solution seems to be if any two of Newsgroups:,
Path:, Expires:, Supersedes: is there, the bounce will be suppressed.

I do not know whether there is any work going on in this area yet.

--
Chris Lewis; [log in to unmask]; Phone: Canada 613 832-0541
Psroff 3.0 info: [log in to unmask]