Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:32:45 -0400
Somehow I am thinking maybe you might be more interested in exploring a
DISTRIBUTE job, where the target addresses are supplied with the message
to be sent.  I haven't actually done any of that so I cannot supply any
actual guidance, but from what I have seen over the years I think maybe
it might fit your scenario.  In other words, instead of asking LISTSERV
to say "oh wait, here is a posting for a list, let me go dig up a
zillion subscribers" you would create some new application that will
pull the list from your LDAP server and create the DISTRIBUTE job and
mail it.

Alternatively, you might explore using DBMS-hosted lists, and point
LISTSERV to the database server that your LDAP server is using.  I don't
have details with that either, just sharing the wisdom accumulated from
tracking THIS list for a few years now.

At 9:49 PM -0400 4/12/07, Paul Russell wrote:
>On 4/12/2007 15:41, Bill Verity wrote:
>>Is it possible to manage subscribers through an exit?  We'd like to
update the list on-the-fly with an LDAP query.

>You use the TCPGUI interface. See the Developer's Guide for details.

Thanks Paul, hoped you would answer since I know you do a lot of this.
But I want to build the list at the moment the mail is sent.  What exit
would I take?  I don't see one for this time period.
--
Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a
rest.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State
University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)