"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:39:57 -0500
Newman, Liz wrote:
 > I'm trying to customize the pages for the web interface for version
 > 1.8e. While it's easy to change the top & bottom banners, I need to
 > change more. Our list owners are basically computer illiterate and
 > our assn members are equally so.  So, the interface as it exists "out
 >  of the box" will confuse them.  We have the pages built - now just
 > need to make the commands work. So, what I need is a list or a source
 >  (the manuals?  If so, which one - where?) of template
 > commands/reference variables.  Has anyone else totally changed the
 > look of the site, while still keeping the functionality?  If so, how?

I can't contribute to an answer for these questions, but will comment on
the area in general with 2 points:

* tailoring the web interface isn't done for free.  Sure, there are many
changes you might make, but before you make the changes, consider the
long-term ramifications.  Each time LSoft provides a patch or new
version, either you retrofit your changes into the new templates, or you
stick with your old, changed templates.  Hopefully the old ones still
"work".  If you retrofit (i.e., the list(s) will have a long active life
and your changes are important), hopefully the changes were very well
documented when written, or the retrofit cost will be exorbitant. If the
site makes changes, then will individual list-owner-made changes be
retrofitted?  How will those list-owners compare the templates they have
to the old site templates to the new site templates?  Most of that is
probably their business and not your concern, except if your site
changes have impacted what they must do at upgrade time.

* the LSoft pages/templates are much better and easier to understand
than you might first think.   Your users aren't using the same pages and
features as you.  Do your users see and understand in the same way you do?

I'm not saying the stock layouts can't be improved; it's just that the
cost of doing so may be high.

cheers, wayne
--

Wayne T. Smith -- [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System -- UNET -- Systems Software Analyst