Irwin Tillman '86 <IRWIN@PUCC>
Sun, 27 Sep 87 15:06:41 EDT
Listserv list-owners & maintainers and Netnews maintainers:

Listserv 1.5k has the capability to include a 'Newsgroup' header
in mail it produces.  The purpose is to allow sites running Netnews
to place each piece of mail in the appropriate newsgroup.  Currently,
sites running Netnews are generally relying on static tables maintained
locally to map 'Sender' headers to newsgroups, which has drawbacks.
I would like to see Listserv list-owners begin to make use of the
definition that will cause the 'Newsgroup' header to be produced.

This first requires some consensus as to what the appropriate mapping
should be.  For example, should REXXLIST be mapped to listserv.rexxlist,
listserv.rexx, bitnet.rexxlist, bitnet.rexx, bit.rexxlist, bit.rexx ...
you get the idea.

While the actual names aren't terribly important (as long as they make
some kind of sense), agreement to the mapping is essential.  To get
the ball rolling, I am including below the mapping I am currently using
for several listserv group.  If you don't like this mapping, then
SAY SO, so that we can agree on a better one and start using it!

-Irwin

**********CURRENT LISTSERV --> NETNEWS MAPPING AT PUCC ******************
REXXLIST@POLYGRAF                       bit.rexx
SAS-L@VTVM2                             bit.sas
SPSSX-L@MARIST                          bit.spssx
NETMONTH@MARIST                         bit.netmonth
TEX-L@MARIST                            bit.tex
S-COMPUT@RUTVM1                         bit.supercomputers
CYBER-L@BITNIC                          bit.cyber
AIDSNEWS@RUTVM1                         bit.aidsnews
L-HCAP@NDSUVM1                          bit.handicapped
NUTWORKS@TCSVM                          bit.nutworks
KNET-L@TAMVM1                           bit.knet
SPIRES-L@BITNIC                         bit.spires
ADVISE-L@NDSUVM1                        bit.advise
GERINET@UBVM                            bit.geriatric
LIAISON@RUTVM1                          bit.liaison
MAIL-L@BITNIC                           bit.mail
CON-L@VTVM1                             bit.con
TCPIP-L@UIUCVMD                         bit.tcp-ip
NETNWS-L@NDSUVM1                        bit.netnews
INFONETS@BITNIC                         bit.nets
LSTSRV-L@RUTVM1                         bit.listserv
VFORT-L@JHUVM                           bit.fortvs
FUTURE-L@BITNIC                         bit.future

Irwin Tillman           BITNET: IRWIN@PUCC
Princeton University    UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!PUCC.BITNET!IRWIN