Highlander <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 23:33:19 -0800
I recently had the desire to try and find a mailing list for people with
entrepreneurial interests.

I downloaded a couple of lists of active mailing lists, and found, to my
surprise that no such list could be found on either.

A search on Yahoo! turned up only slightly more... a couple of dead
links, and a multitude of advertising pages.

To clarify: a definition of an entrepreneur is someone who identifies a
need or creates a need and assumes the risk of bringing that product or
service to market.

Most entrepreneurs also share certain common characteristics: They're
ambitious and creative. They demonstrate problem solving abilities.
They're self-confident, and take risks. They set goals for themselves,
and are perseverant.

I propose a mailing list where people who share these characteristics can
come together and discuss problems, successes, interests, as well as seek
help and advice from others. Things like the creation of a business plan,
acquisition of financing, marketing strategies, labour problems, etc., as
well as non-business related things that entrepreneurs might do in their
spare time.

While, generally, the scope of this proposed mailing list is broad, I would
like to see it limited to discussion of the topics that I've just
mentioned, keeping away from using it as a medium for advertising
multi-level marketing, or get-rich-quick schemes.

I think that such a list would provide a valuable resource to
entrepreneurs and would-be entrepreneurs around the world, and has the
potential to gain a large number of subscribers (POV Magazine, Winter
1996, pg 56: "A recent study by Babson College professor, Paul Reynolds,
found that 10 percent of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 are
trying to start their own business...", and later, in the same article:
"And a recent Roper Starch Worldwide study found 63 percent of
18-to-29-year-olds polled said they actually wanted to start their own
business").

In conclussion, I'm interested in this kind of entrepreneurial mailing
list. If you know of one out there, please point me in the right
direction. If there is indeed no such list, I'd be happy to administer a
new one, if someone would volounteer to host it.

I've tried to provide enough information to answer any questions
beforehand, but if you have any questions, or know of, or would like to
host such a list, please reply to my personal address (I don't usually
follow this list, and my subscription request hasn't been processed yet).

Thanks for your time!