Bill Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 May 90 09:35:40 EDT
The following is in response to some of the mail that was
distributed to this list about the NIH Guide distribution list
(NIHGDE-L@JHUVM):

This list is a bit different from the "normal" LISTSERV information
list.  Its sole purpose is to distribute weekly versions of the NIH
Guide to various institutions throughout the country.  Each
institution is then responsible for redistributing or otherwise
making it available to scientists and researchers at their
institution.  Different institutions have set up different
mechanisms of redistribution, some use internal bulletin boards,
others have set up local LISTSERV lists, etc.  Our long term goal is
to be able to eliminate the printed version that can take as long as
3 weeks to reach the researchers.  We allow each institution only
one electronic copy, but any university, research location, etc.
that is on BITNET or the Internet and receives the hardcopy Guide is
eligible to request an electronic version.  It is then the
responsibility of the recipient to arrange for local redistribution.
We are currently sending the Guide out in this manner to more than
200 institutions.

Since we do not run VM here, John Paul Elrod and Jim Jones at Johns
Hopkins have graciously volunteered to maintain the NIHGDE-L list
and have helped other institutions set up local redistribution
lists.  We feel that it is our responsibility to ensure that each
subscribing institution receive one and only one electronic copy.
For that reason, we have a formalized policy for requesting
membership.  Additions, deletions, etc.  to the list are controlled
from here.  I also feel that each subscribing institution should
receive its copy directly from our list.  When problems arise (as
they do each week), I do not want to have to contact multiple list
owners at multiple institutions to see what went wrong.

If an institution sets up local LISTSERV list, they have complete
control over the attributes of that list.  It might be worthwhile to
have some of these internal lists coordinated, but (since we aren't
running the list), it can't be done from NIH.  I would certainly be
glad to give whatever assistance is necessary.

Bill Jones, NIH Computer Center