"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 7 Jun 88 12:16:27 GMT
As sites  start installing HPO  5, I've been getting  a number of  bug reports
about  a "loop"  in LISTSERV.  As I  have said  already twice,  this is  not a
LISTSERV bug. LISTSERV  gets an invalid file  in its reader, and  issues a 'CP
TRANSFER RDR  spoolid TO userid' to  transfer it to the  postmaster. Now, some
level of HPO 5 breaks the TRANSFER and CHANGE commands, so that you have to do
'CP TRANSFER LISTSERV RDR spoolid TO userid'. I personally call this a bug, as
you had previously never had to put your own userid on the command and I don't
see why you should need to.

Now I've heard that  some IBMers have come up with the  notion that this works
as designed, and that the application  should be changed. I am *certainly* not
going to even  consider moving the tip  of my finger to put  'LISTSERV' in all
the TRANSFER  and CHANGE commands everywhere  just because IBM have  started a
massive  "Privileged Command  Reconstruction"  (the first  affected being  the
RSCSV2 TRANSFER/CHANGE/PURGE commands). Especially as, from what I understood,
there is a PTF which fixes this "new feature" of HPO5.

Now we don't run HPO5  on any of the CERN CPUs, so I  have very little info on
this. I  tried looking into  INFOMVS but didn't find  anything. If one  of the
HPO5  LISTSERV sites  could post  a  short note  to the  list, indicating  the
present official status of the problem along  with the APAR number, I would be
most grateful.

  Eric

PS: The mail forwarding package will not work under HPO5. Now if someone could
    send me  a console  log with  the exact  message that  CP prints  when you
    TRANSFER a file from someone else's reader, I could make a small change to
    have it work under HPO5.