Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Jun 1991 14:15:04 +0200
On Mon, 17 Jun 1991 13:08:38 SDT Klaus Kusche <K312240@AEARN> said:

>(* I sent this one week ago, but it was blackholed somewhere... *) As of
>June 5,  the problem with  list mail  containing listserv job  lines and
>duplicate mail bodies still exists.

This is the same problem as the one causing the X-DEL storms. It has been
identified  as  being a  problem  with  either  RSCS/JES or  LISTEARN  at
FRMOP22, FRORS13 or FRORS12. The EARN office is committed to solving this
problem with the highest priority.

>I strongly support the votes for a "query * (netwide" command.

Scan the  list archives. I  have explained many times  why this is  not a
good idea. The  LISTSERV's in Europe already have  trouble processing the
preswent amount  of traffic; they do  not need extra "let's  try this out
for fun" load.

>I also strongly agree that LISTSERV's and LISTEARN's should be reunited.

This will not happen, so save your time.

>* If  the  EARN administration  really  wants  to improve  the  LISTxxxx
>situation, it  should pay Turgut  for a) Writing  Listserv documentation
>(this is really badly needed!)

I agree that this would be a good use of EARN's money.

>The  problem  of  virtual  mail  addresses  (mail  addresses  which  are
>introduced to  hide the  internals of  some local  network, but  have no
>physical  existence,  i.e.  mail  addresses which  should  be  used  for
>receiving mail,  but cannot be used  to send mail or  tell commands) has
>hit me several times:

This is not LISTSERV's problem. This is a generic problem that will exist
even with normal mail. If you are  told to put address X on your business
card, but any mail you send comes  from Y, you have to accept that people
are going to write to you using the  Y address. They'll pick it up from a
header, or hit  the REPLY key, etc.  If this address does not  work, I am
very sorry to say that you have a brain-damaged mail system and you ought
to put pressure on your local mail people to fix it.

>How  do  I send  subscriptions/deletions/other  requests  for the  AEARN
>address from a completely different machine/address/network??

You  can't, of  course. You  have to  send these  from the  AEARN account
before it is deleted.

>how would you handle this problem in general for big lists???

I would  tell the subscribers  that if they  have no e-mail  address that
works both ways, they can't join the list.

  Eric