Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:21:28 -0400
"LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on 08/11/2005 03:03:36 PM:

> Seeking last minute advice before blindfolding myself and stepping
> off the edge...
>
> Current server:  Listserv 1.8d / LSMTP 1.1b / Windows NT4
>
>     New server:  Listserv 14.4 / LSMTP 1.1b / Win2K3 Server
>
> (A) Can this be done with some careful file migration, then just
> crank it back up?  Or does there need to be a step-wise update (can
> you go straight 1.8d -> 14.4, or should there be an intermediate stop?).
>
> (B) One stumbling block is existing lists are setup with Notebooks
> on D:\PUBLIC\listname, and the new server will have them on F:
> \PUBLIC\listname (it has a DVDROM in as D:).

Why not move the DVDROM to F: and make the hard drive D:?  Then at least
your drive letters will match up and should reduce confusion.

For other software (Lotus Domino servers) I always install the same
version of the software on the new box, copy the data and bring it up to
make sure everything works after the migration to new hardware. Then I
upgrade the software.  Fewer changes at a time with more opprotunities to
roll back if there is a problem.