"Stoughton, Brian F." <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:08:00 -0400
Thanks Ulrich!

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ulrich Giese
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 8:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]

it's in the 'listmast.memo'
-ulrich-

17.3.2. The ALL-REQUEST alias
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you need to communicate with all of the non-quiet list owners on your
server, simply write to the special ALL-REQUEST alias. ALL- REQUEST is
expanded by LISTSERV to include all non-quiet list owners of all the
lists on your server. Note that ALL-REQUEST should only be used in
emergencies, or when all non-quiet list owners need to be informed that
something is happening, such as a migration from one server to another.

For general news it is probably better to create an administrative
mailing list for your list owners rather than to use ALL-REQUEST.

In LISTSERV 1.8e and following, the ability to post to the ALL-REQUEST
alias, which expands to all non-quiet list owners, has been restricted
as follows:

   1. The site configuration variable, ALL_REQUEST_ALLOWED_USERS, can
      be used to specify who can mail to ALL-REQUEST. This variable
      uses the same syntax as POSTMASTER=, in other words, a space-
      separated list of userid@host specifications.

   2. Postmasters are always allowed to mail to ALL-REQUEST, even when
      not listed in ALL_REQUEST_ALLOWED_USERS.

   3. The determination is made conclusively on the RFC821 MAIL FROM
      because:

        a. This avoids dealing with header errors. Header error = don't
           know who sent this = discard silently = unhappy admin who
           had to send an urgent notice to all his owners.

        b. The main point of this change is to block spammers, and
           spammers typically have non-working or null MAIL FROM:
           addresses. Needless to say, null doesn't pass the test.

   4. When the MAIL FROM is not null, the REQNAK1 mail template form is
      sent when the message is rejected.

Although a further request was considered for a way to disable ALL-
REQUEST entirely, it was decided not to implement it, as the main
concern was to block spammers and general users from posting to the
alias at random.