Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 22:40:27 +0200
I think  the main issue  is how you can/will  move your lists.  There are
basically two  approaches to relocate  a server,  you can create  the new
server, move  lists one by  one, and  then close off  the old one,  or if
you're  using the  same  operating system  you can  just  move the  whole
disks/directories in one  block. This is usually much faster  but in that
case you have to make sure that  traffic isn't lost. I guess in that case
I'd create  a "storage bay"  account on the  target system and  have RSCS
reroute all files to that account, and MAILER forward the mail similarly,
to the same userid on the new system. I'd set up MAILER on the new system
to  think LISTSERV  is the  storage userid,  and have  mail for  LISTSERV
forwarded to the  storage account as well.  Then I'd have all  the time I
need to  move the  server, and I  could still send  it test  messages and
everything  to make  sure the  new setup  is working,  and I'd  simply CP
TRANSFER the files when done, first a  few and then the whole bunch. Hope
this helps.

  Eric