Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:48:23 -0400
At 5:35 PM -0700 6/20/02, Joe DeBattista wrote:
>Hi,
>    I have about 600 lists on my site.  Is there an easy to to gather
>statistics on which last hasn't been accessed in a while?  None of my
>lists have the Change-Log feature turned on, and was wondering if I can
>gather the information without it.

If the mailing lists are archived you can look in the archives to see
when the last post was.

Additionally, information about postings is stored in LISTSERV's log
file itself.  See section 10.3.6 of the Site Manager's Manual for
more information on this.

Some other options that may be useful to you in the future if not in
your current situation:

1) If you have Change-Log= Yes set for a mailing list you can find
out how often it has been posted to by looking at the changelog.  The
relevent changelog entries will generally look something like:

19980331232441 POST [log in to unmask] Printer Drivers

This doesn't tell you how many email addresses got sent the message,
although given the current number of subscribers and the other
information in the changelog this could be determined.  (If you want
to learn more about changelogs I have a technical paper on retrieving
and interpreting them which I can send you.)

2) If you have SYSTEM_CHANGELOG set to 1 in LISTSERV's site
configuration then a record of all postings will be kept in the
system.changelog file.  The format of system.changelog entries is:

20001011224157 MAIL-MERGE 457 0
3,AA-1010-AR,message@SENDER,[log in to unmask],Subject
of Message

(That's all on one line.)

DATETIME
   MAIL or MAIL-MERGE (You can ignore al NJE-* jobs)
   #mailed to from local server
   #mailed to via LISTSERV backbone
   size of message in K bytes
   JOB-ID (if any) from  //JOB-ID JOB ... line
   email of job submitter (DIST_ALLOWED_USER or From:)
   FROM= address for error bounces
   Subject: line of message.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
  LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.