Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:23:09 -0400
At 03:24 PM 4/28/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>We use IPMonitor and I only test listserv to see if it is responding on
>port 25.

Just a small point -- I would say that's not a sufficient test, because LISTSERV itself does not listen on port 25.  So testing on port 25 is a good thing, but not sufficient in and of itself, since port 25 being responsive is not a guarantee that LISTSERV itself is running.

If you're going to rely on port tests, then I would also test port 2306 (the TCPGUI port), since LISTSERV does listen directly to that port.  To test port 2306, you have to connect, send a non-authenticated LISTSERV command (like THANKS) to it, and read the response, as it doesn't respond with a 220 message when opened.

At one point I had a prototype Nagios script for LISTSERV that worked to an extent, but I never got it to work the way really I wanted it to.

Nathan