June Genis <GA.JRG@STANFORD>
Tue, 18 Jul 89 13:16:14 PDT
I have just noticed that something seems to have broken down in
my system for updating local copies of LISTSERV files.  Below is
a section of the directory of the PDS where I keep them showing all
of the members which were updated by a combination of AFD
subscription and WYLBUR exec sometime this year.  Note that although
some of these where updated this month, many have not been updated
since april or in one case february.  Also, my AFD list (which is
actually under user-id GA.PUB and which I just verified) is much
longer still.

FILELIST  19:02 07/14/89  GS.NET    LISTSERV FILELIST
GATES     00:18 04/01/89  GS.NET    BITNET GATES
INDEX     19:59 07/04/89  GS.NET    NICSERVE INDEX
LISTSERV  11:22 04/08/89  GS.NET    LISTSERV GROUPS
NODES     19:36 07/04/89  GS.NET    NODES INFO1
SERVERS   03:58 04/04/89  GS.NET    BITNET SERVERS
SITELIST  19:32 07/04/89  GS.NET    MEMBER SITELIST
USERHELP  12:56 02/02/89  GS.NET    BITNET USERHELP

I know for a fact that there is a newer version of at least LISTSERV
GROUPS because I got started on this hunt when I found that my copy
did not include the new PL1-L list.  The NICSERV (or NETINFO) INDEX
file is of no help in figuring out what's going on as it shows
update dates for all of these files which are even older that what I
have.  (I suppose this shouldn't surprise me since that part is, I
think, manually maintained by the NIC and they seem to be having a
lot of trouble keeping up with maintenance right now.)

Does anyone know of a way I can find out if the AFD files I should
have received were actually sent?  I am highly suspicious of
everything about LISTSERV at BITNIC since we have also not been
receiving copies of BITNEWS here for most of this year as well. (I
and other people have reported this to the NIC several times without
any resolution of the problem so far.)  The exec at this end is
rather simple and I doubt that it could have lost anything that got
as far as the mailbox for GA.PUB and at least some of the stuff is
getting that far.  We have had no general reports of things which
get as far as the system spool not making it to people's WYLBUR
mailboxes.  Any leads in tracking where the breakdown in this system
might be would be appreciated.

/June

To:  LSTSRV-L(LSTSRV-L@POLYGRAF)
cc:  CONKLIN@BITNIC, HRYBYK@BITNIC, SPIEGEL@BITNIC