Leonard D Woren <LDW@USCMVSA>
Mon, 20 Feb 89 19:28:00 PST
> As for those who should be more concerned with the fate of LISTSERV,
> well, maybe they dislike the political bullshit that is going on
> as much as Eric, and the rest of those who are participating,
> and are just *hoping* that this whole thing will work itself out.

I suspect that most people fall into the above category.

> Although, I must admit, I expected more support for Eric
> than I have seen.

Perhaps many people who side with Eric (for example, me) don't feel
that it would be productive to clog up the network and people's in-
boxes with mail saying "Eric is right and EARN is wrong" and not
suggesting a solution to the problem.  I certainly would post a
suggested solution if I thought of one.  Also, many of us west of the
pond may be disgusted with the political situation in EARN, but may
feel that it's not our place to comment.  I don't even know how the
EARN policymakers get their positions.  I assume they're elected, like
the BITNET BoD.  If this is the case, then the obvious thing to do,
although much easier said than done, is for the EARN users to elect
different people who will be more reasonable towards volunteers.  But,
considering the vote on the BITNET-CSNET merger, I wouldn't count on
it.  I suspect that in both cases, the votes are cast largely by
people who don't spend the time understanding the issues, and probably
don't even use the network.

/Leonard