they moved the moon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 11:11:25 -0500
To whom it may concern,

Recently, Linda Saboe and I, the co-listowners of the listserv list POLITICS
at VILLVM, were informed by Villanova University that we should move our
list elsewhere "as soon as possible."  We were aware that VILLVM was a
temporary home for the list, and that we would have had to search for a new
home anyway next year, when VILLVM will abandon its IBM mainframe for a
unix box (which would be dedicated to maintaining only local or faculty-
sponsored lists, of which POLITICS is neither).  Unfortunately, the actions
of a single individual have forced us to search urgently for a new home.

Two weeks ago, we banned one of the participants on the list for making threats
against Linda, telling them that he would complain directly to Linda's bosses
if we did not ban another list participant who our troublemaker felt was
harassing him (no such thing was taking place).  The following Monday, our
troublemaker called the library where Linda worked and made various false
allegations against her and the nature of the POLITICS list.  Despite the fact
that we were able to document that the allegations were false, and despite
the support that list subscribers expressed publically for her, Villanova
decided that it wanted the list gone.  We were not given a time frame, but were
told that the move should be made "ASAP."

So we are posting here, to see if any listserv site is willing to host the
list, on a permanent or (if necessary) temporary basis.  Linda and I are willing
to continue administering the list, as we have for the past year, and both of
us are familiar with listserv operations.  The volume of the POLITICS list
averaged around 111 units a day last year, though since the bit.listserv.
politics gateway was changed to be a moderated gateway, that number has
decreased some from where it was.

If you have any questions, or are willing to help us out, feel free to
contact either myself (Gary W. Olson) or Linda Saboe at the e-mail addresses
below.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Gary W. Olson ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])
Linda Saboe ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])
Listowners, POLITICS@VILLVM
--
Gary W. Olson         [log in to unmask]         [log in to unmask]