Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:48:12 -0400
First, we need to figure out what you're really after. You're talking
about access and at the beginning you say "the list archives" but later
you say "the web interface" and these are so very NOT the same thing.

A couple of definitions:
a) "the list archive" is list traffic content accumulated over time.
b) "the web interface" is a means of using LISTSERV(tm) features, such
as reading archive content and managing lists.

One way to interpret your question is: can we add subscribers to the
list and prevent them from reading the historical record?

Another way to interpret your question is: can we have subscribers who
are prevented from using the web interface to access list features?

For the first interpretation, you could rename the existing list (maybe
listname_history), then clone that to the original name (including the
subscribers), then add the new group to this newly-created version of
the list.  The original subscribers would be able to read the archive
content now stored in the other-named list.  The combined old and new
subscribers would be able to participate fully in the new list (that has
the old name) going forward.

For the second interpretation, a new question arises: why do you care if
a subscriber uses the web interface or not?  There isn't any essential
function they cannot also perform by email (such as searching and
retrieving archive content), so what are you trying to achieve by
keeping them out of the web interface?