Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:39:17 -0500
>Greetings all,  I have a question that I have not found an answer to
>yet.  So thought I would ask the ListServ mailing list.
>
>Pretty well every mailing list on our campus listserv machine gets
>similar emails to the below on a regular basis.  The original email
>is considered phishing spam and should never be going to any of the
>mailing lists we host.  We had a query recently of the viability of
>dropping any email inbound to our server which is from one of about
>25 addresses commonly used in phishing attacks.  As these 25
>addresses have been served out already, we would really love to find
>a recommended way to either drop these emails in LSMTP or
>listserv...or otherwise not bother the individual list owners with
>these "problem" reports.
>
>Do any of you have suggestions on how to best silence the junk
>caused by this fraudulent email?

Are you manually serving the addresses off?  If so, and if you have
the 2003a Level Set of LISTSERV 1.8e or later (under the new
numbering system LISTSERV 14.2 or later) then you can use 'QUIET
SERVE email@address DROP' to instruct LISTSERV to quietly discard any
future messages from the email address in question.  (This is
described at
<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/v18e-2003a.html> under
'USABILITY: New DROP argument for SERVE OFF command'.)

If you have LISTSERV 14.3 or later, you can also make use of a
configuration option to drop all spam notifications.  See
<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/relnotes/LISTSERV14.3-Release-Notes.html#bouncevirus>
for details of this.

I hope one or the other of these options will do what's needed.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support, L-Soft international, Inc
   LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.

All of our manuals are available for download at
   <http://www.lsoft.com/resources/manuals.asp>