Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 15:26:08 -0400
>>"unaffordability" is significant), I would be very concerned about the
>>effects of direct user charging on all sorts of user behavior.
>
>Keep in mind also that in many jurisdictions list fees will be considered
>taxable by various levels of government.
>
>Tony Harminc

Plus the fact that listowners don't always have the time for the massive
administrative work involved.  (I barely have time just to handle error
messages and listmember problems.)  Plus the fact that paying a
subscription fee will make some listmembers believe they now have a say in
running the list ("What do you mean, I can't post my two thousand line epic
poem about the Canter and Siegel spam to exlibris [rare books & special
collections forum], I paid good money to subscribe to this list and that
means I have the right to post anything I damn well please!").

I dunno.  From my point of view, academic lists (with high signal to noise
ratio, preferably) contribute to knowledge and research and are quite
legitimately considered a proper and legitimate use of university
computers.  It's the purely for fun lists (fan club lists, say) that I,
were I a university administrator, would question.

Just another farthing tossed into the conversation.  I'll go back to my
more customary lurker mode now.

Mario Rups, co-listowner, ARCANA