Michael Brown <BROWN@CMR001>
Fri, 27 Jan 89 21:09:00 EST

For those of you not running an OS that supports backbone

servers, I have a suggestion...

Why not write a simple program which acts as a common
mail folder (using CP-6 terms) for everyone.
I am totally unfamiliar with IBM VM/CMS, RSCS, et al.
but I don't think it would be that hard (at least I hope not)
to create files that could receive BITNET mail from the
lists that anyone could access. Here is how I have set up
such a monster on Honeywell Bull (now just Bull) CP-6...

!DABBLE.X       "This is a Bulletin Board program
CAT             "will give you a list of the different boards
SELECT VIRUS-L  "this is where all of our VIRUS-L from BROWNVM goes
DISPLAY         "displays all the message you haven't read
SEL APOLLO      "change boards, this being APOLLO from YALE
QUIT            "exit to the Operating System
!               "back to where we started...

This is great, because it saves an amazing amount of disk space,
yet it gives everyone access to the LISTS.

As BITNET manager, I create these when a LIST becomes poplular
enough to justify one. (Usually when 2 or 3 people subscribe to
the same list).

Not only is this great for the site, as far as disk space is
concerned, but it help reduce network traffic, as only 1 message
is being sent from the list, instead of hundreds of indivdual
copies.

Well, it was just a suggestion. If anyone wants more details,
don't hesitate to ask....

                  CP6-Mail: Michael Brown @CMR
                  NET-Mail: <[log in to unmask]>
Michael Brown   Snail-Mail: Service Informatique CMR, St-Jean, Que. J0J 1R0