Bill Rubin <WGRCU@CUNYVM>
Wed, 25 Nov 87 09:35:56 EST
Due to WISCVM's being down for an extended period of time the past couple
of days, we had a very large backlog of files to send them, of which almost
3000 were destined for their SMTP machine. To avoid our having to SPTAPE files
to tape to keep under 9000 spool files, I had our local SMTP machine process
them instead. This seemed to work fairly well, and in looking to see what
was still sitting in SMTP waiting to be delivered, I noticed lots of addresses
of the form [log in to unmask] Since all of this mail that
I processed came from Bitnet, having names of this form on lists is totally
incorrect. Furthermore, since WISCVM is going away in a few weeks, mail
addressed in this fashion will no longer get delivered.

I would like to ask you all to check your lists for names with addresses
pointing explicitely at WISCVM. There is no need for addresses of this sort,
since your MAILER (and LISTSERV) will automatically know where to send Internet
mail for correct delivery. Therefore, [log in to unmask] should
now become [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter. Of course, if you don't do it now,
you'll have to do it in a few weeks when mail starts getting bounced back to
you.

Bill