Siegfried Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:53:20 +0200
>We have a similar problem and this is what our listserv maintainer has said ...
>
>Some old processes were left over from the 23:30 restart.  When this
>happens, the www gui has problems.  What I normally do is
>
>logon to listserv,
>type "lcmd stop" to stop the existing version,
>run "killmall" which kills the old processes and
>then restart by typing "go bg &"

We had similar problems some time ago because our LISTSERV is being killed
about five times (!) every day by a special "feature" of our HP-UX
environment. Since our HP-UX administrators have not been able to solve
this problem, we are now using an automatic restart procedure which
removes the remaining lsv process with a 'kill -15 ...' before the
restart. The automatic restart procedure is always triggered about thirty
seconds after the main lsv process (the one with the PID which can be
found in the file 'listserv.PID') has disappeared from the process list.
We observed that the problem with the web interface only occurs when the
main lsv process disappears while a second lsv process is running.

One of our admins wondered why there are always two huge lsv processes in
the process list when listserv is apparently idle. When you observe the
process list with a tool like 'yamm' and look at the listserv.log with
'tail -f listserv.log' at the same time, you can see this interesting
effect. Every time the listserv.log stands still, a second lsv process
appears on the process list.

I will give you an example (result of 'yamm -ms'):

S N listserv    440 20133  20 154  62.60M  61.87M 16:22:28    0: 0 lsv
S N listserv    440 24874  20 168  62.60M  61.87M 12:23:06    2:35 lsv

The main lsv process is the one with PID 24874 (started at 12:23:06) and
when this main process disappears, the second process (in this case PID
20133, started at 16:22:28) will block the web interface.

Regards,

Siegfried

--
Siegfried Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>