Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 12:53:39 +0100
The current official policy is that 1 production VM image = 1 license. We
make exceptions in  cases where there are multiple images  that serve the
same users for historical reasons (ie  in cases where the images would be
merged given enough time and manpower, typically when the university used
to have  two of the biggest  S/390 models because one  didn't have enough
horsepower to get  the job done, and  now they have been  merged into one
physical box). The problem is that we  do not charge based on model group
number. So, if  you have a big machine that  is physically partitioned to
run multiple systems,  we do not receive more licensing  revenues than if
that machine was half the size and only ran one VM image. You can however
get a  maintenance discount if  the two servers  are managed by  the same
people.

  Eric