Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Nov 1992 16:26:49 EST
On Thu, 12 Nov 1992 15:38:03 EST Scott Hammer said:
>Is there any way to allow mail from "root" at a particular node as
>a legal address for submitting to a particular list without disabling
>loop checking altogether?  I see in the release notes for 1.7b the
>introduction of "Loopcheck=NoOrigin," but that seems less granular
>than what I want.
>
>My situation is this.  We have a list that is used for posting bug reports,
>fixes, etc. for our unix systems around campus.  The person who posts most
>often is the Engineer responsible for these systems -- unfortunately, he
>is most often logged on a root, and posts from there, and LISTSERV rejects
>the mail.  I'd like him to be able to post to this one list, without
>turning off the other checking that LISTSERV does.
>
>Is this possible?

Not the way the code is currently structured.  I have what we consider to
be a better solution.  No one should ever log on as root, except to
do installations of new releases of the O/S.  We create IDs for the people
doing system maintenance with userindex 0 and group index 1, but not root.

The password file entries looks something like this:

root:##root:0:1:Operator:/:/bin/csh
droot:##droot:0:1:David root:/home/sys/david:/bin/csh
hroot:##hroot:0:1:Harold root:/home/sys/harold:/bin/csh
vroot:##vroot:0:1:Victor root:/home/sys/victor:/bin/csh

Now, each person has their own personal root account.  Everything you can do
from root, you can do from here, with accounting of who did it.  Mail sent by
one of these accounts appears to be from the account shown, and not from
root, with the gcos field information properly put in the From: header.

Works for us.

Harold

Harold C Pritchett         |   BITNET:  HAROLD@UGA
BITNET TechRep             | Internet:  [log in to unmask]
The University of Georgia  |         :  [log in to unmask]
Athens, GA 30602           |     fido:  1:370/60
(706) 542-3135             |      Bbs:  SYSOP at (706) 354-0817
           Note:  New Area Code - Formerly (404)