"Harmon, Josh" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:56:46 -0600
Was receiving the following error when trying to log on to our web access
through wa.exe:

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10106,
phase=SOCKET, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started.

I found a couple of references to it in this list.... but they were in the
question form only.  The posts were back in may so hopefully you all got
your questions answered already, but I thought I would post the answer now
just in case you hadn't. This is a documented problem in the Installation
guide for NT! Imagine that!

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules posting the whole section... but here
it is taken from
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/ntinst.html

12.3. Setting system file permissions for WA.EXE under NTFS
If your %SystemRoot%\system32 directory is on a FAT partition this step can
be skipped, since FAT partitions are always world-read.
Whether you install the interface manually or from the SITE.EXE
configuration GUI, if your %SystemRoot%\system32 directory (i.e.,
\WINNT\SYSTEM32) is on an NTFS partition, you must also ensure that the
following files in the %SystemRoot%\system32 directory are granted world
read (R/X) permissions:
MSAFD.DLL
WS2_32.DLL
WS2HELP.DLL
WSHTCPIP.DLL
WSOCK32.DLL
If these permissions are not set, when accessing the WA.EXE CGI script from
the web you will get an error similar to this:
Error during command authentication Error - unable to initiate communication
with LISTSERV (errno=10106, phase=SOCKET, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server
is probably not started. Expires: Thu, 01 Dec 1994 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate Pragma: no-cache Expires: Thu, 01
Dec 1994 00:00:00 GMT Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate Pragma:
no-cache

Cheers,
Josh Harmon