Louise Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 09:14:00 -0800
>This has generated the the major part of the discussion.  It seems clear
>that posts to private, closed and/or confidential lists could very well
>be copyright material of the poster.  But I do not believe that posts
>to public lists (my definition:  Subscribe= Open), can be held to be
>copyrightable.  Statements made in such a forum more closely resemble
>street corner proclimations (which anyone that wants can tape and
>rebroadcast at will - just ask any politian!).
>

>My question is:  what, legally, is the right answer here?

Count me among those who believe that postings to a subscription list are
copyright material.  The analogy is closer to publishing a letter or article
in a newspaper than merely putting something up on a street corner.  What a
pity it would be to have to close a list to protect people's rights.  We
have a copyright policy on the list and inform all new members of it.  The
fact that we are not copyright lawyers makes it all the more important to
take some care with this issue which is in a grey area legally at best.

Cheers, Louise

Louise Parsons  <[log in to unmask]>
Co-listowner, Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society
USDA zone 7 , Emerald NARGS, AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI,
"If God had wanted us to be concise, He wouldn't have given us so many
fonts", Dave Barry
http://www.peak.org/~parsont/rockgard/