Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:59:07 +0100
On Tue, 17  Oct 1995 09:52:41 CDT  Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Is there anything he  can do? Can you (Eric) do  anything in the absence
>of the listserv postmaster to help him get to his list.

No. Even if I  did have privs on their system, this  isn't my machine. It
isn't up  to me to  decide that the machine's  owner really does  want to
help  that guy  get a  new password,  but just  isn't doing  it for  some
obscure reason and that they're in fact hoping I'll step in and do it for
them.

>Even just a real email address  for the postmaster would help. I'll hold
>off posting the site address (for now).

The address I have  is the one in PEERS NAMES,  and then there's RELEASE.
Even if that site were a customer,  all we would have is the phone number
to  the  bean counting  department,  which  you  can  get from  the  main
switchboard.

Let's face it, getting in touch with  the person who runs LISTSERV at XYZ
isn't Mission Impossible.  You can call directory assistance  and get the
number  to the  university's main  switchboard. Then  you can  ask to  be
transferred to  someone at  the computing  centre, and  ask if  Jim still
works for  the university,  and if  not who is  his replacement.  I don't
doubt the whole process could take 30 min  or more, but it can be done if
you really want to.

Incidentally the person you're trying  to help called me "master spammer"
in public and has yet to apologize for his mistake. Just to put things in
perspective :-)

  Eric