Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:00:19 -0400
"LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on 03/20/2008 02:51:43 PM:

> Has anyone formulated simple instructions for this class of users on how
> create (and subsequently distribute and archive via LISTSERV)
attractively
> formatted documents with images using applications commonly found on
their
> desktop?

Use the software to create the attractive document, and save it as a PDF.
Send it, along with some plain text describing why the user would want to
open it.  Most machines have software installed that can read PDF files
and if not, there are a number of free readers.

But somehow, I don't think that's what you wanted to hear.

The short answer is "There are no simple instructions for this class of
users on how to create (and subsequently distribute and archive via
LISTSERV) attractively formatted documents with images using applications
commonly found on their desktop."

Too much depends on what the sender has, and what the recipient has, and
how well the later understands what the sender creates.  (G*d, that's a
lousy sentance!)

The other perspective is "Plain text is attractive," but that sentiment is
usually only shared by hard core, old school types.