Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:57:20 -0500
On 6/29/2004 7:13 AM, Pete Weiss wrote:

> At 21:57 06/28/2004 Monday, Anne Toal wrote:
>  >I would like to know if anyone out there has written a list exit for
>  >Listserv running under Win2000 Server that will intercept signoff
> requests
>  >from list members. Would you consider posting the code here, or
>  >alternatively, sending it to me?
>
> How about a LISTSERV cmd?
>
> GET listname (HDR PW=prnsnl_pw
>

> which will LOCK the list from changes.

There are several problems with this solution.
* It prevents new subscriptions.
* It prevents subscribers from changing their options.
* It prevents list configuration changes.
* It requires the owner to explicitly unlock and relock the list
   in order to make any change to the list configuration, the
   subscriber list, or individual subscriber options.
* It assumes that everyone with the authority to lock/unlock the
   list knows that the list must be locked and will not forget to
   relock it after unlocking it. Many of our lists have two or
   more owners.

As for the original question: I have list exits written in Perl, and currently
in production on LISTSERV 1.8d on Solaris 8. One exit will reject signoff
requests, the other will reject both signoff requests and subscriber option
change requests. I am willing to share the code, however, I cannot provide
any assistance for porting the code to other versions and/or platforms. The
list archives contain postings from an individual at another site who was
having problems porting these to Windows. He never posted a followup to
indicate whether he was successful.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator