Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 20:32:11 EST
>  I have just joined this list and would like to know if anyone here uses
> the NT Listserv
> product in conjunction with MS-Mail.
>
>  My problems so far have been being unable to get anything but
> "owner-test-l" as the sender of
> the message sent to the list. Does anyone here have a suggestion as how
> to correct this?

The problem is that Microsoft Mail has exactly one From field.  There
are several addresses that the Microsoft SMTP gateway could choose to
put there:

   (1) SMTP MAIL FROM (where bounce messages should be sent)
   (2) RFC 822 From
   (3) RFC 822 Reply-to

No choice is correct in all circumstances, yet the gateway must choose.
Today we use (1) in order to comply with Internet standards about where
bounces should be sent.  It was the only choice when the gateway was
first set up.  Now Microsoft offers (2) as well.  (3) is not an option.

Normally LISTSERV uses owner-listname@listhost as the SMTP MAIL FROM.
This is a defacto standard on the Internet and causes bounces to go to
the list owner (via LISTSERV).  But given the above, this would cause
replies from Microsoft Mail users to go to the list owner as if they
were bounce messages.  So we use the Safe=no option in LISTSERV to
cause the list name to be put into the SMTP MAIL FROM.  This causes
bounce messages to be sent to the list.  We depend on LISTSERV's quite
good loop detection filters to redirect bounces to the list owner.
This seems like a reasonable compromise given the choices we have.

Our only other option is to change to (2) above and use Safe=yes
(owner-listname in MAIL FROM).  This would cause replies from Microsoft
Mail users to go by default to the sender of the message, rather than
the list.  Bounce messages from Microsoft Mail would be sent to the
sender of the message, rather than the list owner, in violation of
Internet standards.