Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:10:37 -0500
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:59:57 EST, you said:
> subscribers, and is therefore unacceptable.  In fact, the ONLY
> acceptable interface for list owners (for managing the lists and
> their subscribers) and for list subscribers (both for subscribing and
> for managing one's subscription) is WEB access, since we will assume
> that owners and (potential) subscribers have web browsers. Web

1) Please tell your management that a *LOT* of the Internet is behind
'firewalls' that allow E-mail, but do *NOT* allow Web of FTP access,
due to various security concerns.  I invite them to spend a week
living behind a firewall if they need concrete examples.  In fact, I'll
even give them userids behind the firewall machine I have at home.
Too bad that because they're behind a firewall, they won't be able
to telnet to them to use the userids..  Oh,  did I mention that some of
the machines are ancient and don't have nifty GUI-based web browsers?
But that's OK - I guess your management can get away with saying
"screw the technologically/accessibility challenged".  Wish we had
that option here, would make *my* life a lot easier ;)

2) Listserv 1.8C (currently in beta test) supports most of what you want,
and the rest is easily creatable by anybody skilled in HTML and CGI.

3) Unless you're running AIX 4.2 and thus have the Berkeley 8.7-based
Sendmail, I strongly suggest that you upgrade - especially if you haven't
applied *ALL* the IBM patches to Sendmail to close security concerns.
The current Berkeley Sendmail is 8.8.4, and builds easily under AIX.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer