Jim McNulty <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 14:56:19 -0000
Hi,
I hope that this is the proper way to propose a new Listserv mailing list.
 If so, and if anyone is willing to sponsor it, can I ask that you reply to
this email address.
ABOUT THE LIST
I would like to start a Listerv list for UK Police officers. There are
already a few lists around the USA and Canada, and while they have some UK
officers using them, their content is naturally focused on their parent
countries. The proposed list would be restricted to serving and retired
police officers from anywhere in the world, and would give officers from
overseas an insight into how the British police operate, as well as
allowing officers to communicate on policing topics. Various police
agencies worldwide are adopting the British model of community based
policing, and hopefully the list would serve to spread awareness of such
partnership based policing, as opposed to the old school of 'law
enforcement' policy. I know of several hundred UK police officers who would
join such a list immediately. As they use various internet providers, there
is no common contact facility for them. I would want to use the web based
facilities afforded by the latest version of Listserv software.
ABOUT ME
I am 50 years of age and retired last year after 30 years of policing. I
have been involved with online police activities since the early 1980's. I
ran one of the first police BBS systems in the UK, and presently manage the
UKPolice Forum on CompuServe. I am the webmaster for the British section of
the International Police Association. I also maintain a website I created
at www.ukexpert.co.uk/roll that carries the names of all officers killed in
the line of duty regardless of their location in the world. My home page is
at www.ps2.com/jm  and features some of the other online projects I have
created.
I can assure any sponsor that a list would be operated professionally and
properly based on my experience with such a medium.
Thank you for reading this and considering my request for sponsored server
facilities.
Jim McNulty
Scotland, UK