Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Apr 1994 21:01:15 +0200
On Thu, 7 Apr 1994 14:58:46 EDT Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Our LOCAL SYSVARS says:
>OFFLINETHR = '50000 48000 8800 7000'
>
>I guess the RSCS upper limit is too high, because at one point,
>LISTSERV did not go automatically go offline before the magic
>number of 9999 RSCS spoolfiles was reached.

One problem  is that it would  be prohibitively expensive to  check every
time  a spool  file is  created, so  instead LISTSERV  checks at  regular
intervals,  by  default every  5  minutes  (OFFLINEDLY seconds).  Another
problem is  that other virtual  machines contribute to the  RSCS backlog,
including RSCS  itself, so even  having LISTSERV offline is  no guarantee
you won't run out of spoolids.

>(2) if you manually issue the OFFLINE/ONLINE command, when does
>LISTSERV go back into automatic mode?  After next ONLINE command?
>Or when it is rebooted?  Or ????

Until you put it back online manually.

>I also have a number of files in LISTSERV and MAILER (LMail)
>punch that seem to have gone there when RSCS hit 9999: if
>I transfer one back to LISTSERV, I get the following bounce mail:

They were on their  way to RSCS's reader when it ran  out of spoolids, so
they should be transferred to RSCS rather than LISTSERV or MAILER.

  Eric