mrg <CCMRG@BOSTONU>
Fri, 18 Sep 87 9:25:26 EDT
I would like to state that I believe that the LISTSERV backbone needs some
work in order to be a backbone. My case and point follows:
(no offense is intended towards Maine, the University therein, or the
computing center staff that maintains the Listserv there...)
Recently, it was posted that the MAINE listserv had some problems
and lost some mail...well, maine is on the backbone...it has (i believe)
only 5 sites behind it...so, listserv files get routed up to maine from
yalevm...then back down to yale again to come across to brown with
yet another listserv on the backbone...and then finally up to bostonu
where we distribute for I believe 61 nodes behind us. I just think
that this, and possibly other listserv routes, are a bit off.
Any thoughts on this? Would the LCB consider coming up with a tactical
placement of listservs on the listserv backbone and then the other
sites would simply be listserv sites?
Just thinking aloud...and hoping others are too...
            - Michael Gettes, Boston University