"Lawrence E. Rondot" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Aug 1993 14:01:08 EST
Are we all arguing about the same thing?  Chris Lewis sent my list a FAQ
one night by hand.  The following morning (5 hrs later) his Usenet process
also posted the FAQ.  The second posting was rejected as a duplicate.

As I understand the process, Listserv accepted the first FAQ and passed it
to the list membership.  As part of the posting process it added a CRC
calculated from the body of the message to what I assume is a circular
queue of 90 entries.  Why 90?  Because I set my list to accept 90
messages per day with the "Daily-Threshold= 90" statement in the list header.
This normally defaults to 50, but this list/Usenet group generates on an
average day about 75 messages.

In this case the CRC would be pushed out of the queue after a 30 hour period
(on average).

Are we arguing about rejecting the posting after a month because
it is a duplicate realistic?  Does this happen often?  I would think that it
would not be much of a problem unless the FAQs were the only thing posted
to a list (is this the case for the SCIFAQ-L list?).  Even if FAQs were the
only traffic - could the threshold value be modified to a size where the
queue would rotate in a couple of days.

FYI - If the traffic is over the threshold value the traffic is held and the
list owner is notified.  They can release the backlog at a time of their
choosing.  If the value is selected properly, it won't hold the list on many
occasions.  I have adjusted the number a couple of times and the list has held
only three times.

Larry Rondot                             [log in to unmask]
IBM Systems Programmer & BITNET Techrep  [log in to unmask]
Indiana Purdue University Fort Wayne     AT&T:   (219) 481-6203
2101 Coliseum Blvd East                  List owner Woodwork@IPFWVM
Fort Wayne Indiana    46805-1499  USA    =* Standard Disclaimers *=