Karl Signell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:34:59 -0500
At 05:56 PM 12/15/03 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>>Is this a bug-like feature?  Namely, shouldn't a Postmaster be able to
>>GET any list under his jurisdiction without additional fol-de-rol?
>
>No, it wouldn't make to have a security setting for a list that people
>could ignore at their will.

My question was shouldn't the Postmaster (not "people" in general)
automatically have immediate access to all lists?  What security purpose is
served by forcing the Postmaster to carry out an intermediate step to gain
access?

>>>   You can set a password for yourself using the
>>>
>>>         PW REP desired_password
>>
>>.
>>..meaning, for this list only, right?
>
>No, it's global.

Now I'm really confused.  LISTSERV already recognizes my address as the
Postmaster's and can confirm it.   LISTSERV recognizes my password.  What
additional security is gained by changing my password?

Karl