"Harold C. Pritchett" <HAROLD@UGA>
Sat, 20 Sep 86 11:45:51 EDT
I would like to add my second to Eric's suggestions.  I think both of them
are excellent ideas.  If the BITNIC is to make a decision on the FRECP11
LISTSERV, then they should have first hand information.  If they run a
test system, they will have that information.  I will volunteer to assist
Scott, Ricky, and anyone else there as much as I can.  Having served as b
beta test site for all of the 1.4 releases, I may be able to help them out
when Eric is not available.  I also have the advantage of being in the
same time zone, and I am on the system a LOT...  I will even provide the
test list.  I have one which is running at about 6 sites now, and has
over 200 subscribers.

I also like the Idea of using LISTSERV to distribute the ARPA digests.
Using the EDITOR= option of LISTSERV, it should be possible, by naming
the LIST-REQUEST id as the primary editor and LIST as a secondary editor,
for anyone to send to the list itself on any BITNET server and have that
input redistributed to LIST-REQUEST on ARPA.  Anything coming from LIST
on ARPA would be sent to the list on BITNET.

I know there are a lot of lists, but every list does not have to be on
every LISTSERV.  If every list was on 3 or 4 LISTSERVs, spread out across
the BITNET/NETNORTH/EARN network we could cut down tremendously on these
BIG digest files tying up the critical links.

Also, the initial entry into the LISTSERV system should not all be at one
node.  If each digest goes to a different LISTSERV, then no one person will
have to deal with all the MAILER rejects.  Once one mailer accepts it, the
others shouldn't have any problems when the file is redistributed.

I will volunteer to take about 10 of the ARPA lists here at UGA for a starter.
Anyone else interested?

Hal