Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 11:56:31 EST
A few months ago we picked up four lists from another system which are
redistributions of Usenet groups.  The gateway is not a BITNET machine,
it's some Unix machine with an Internet address.  I was led to believe that
the setup was well-understood and working well, and I don't have *much*
reason to doubt that.

I get occasional flames, though, from Usenet posters whose postings are
duplicated somewhere in the process, yielding for them a warning from my
server about a duplicate posting not being processed.  One of these eunichs
has been rather abusive and insistent that my system is on the only one on
the planet which sends him such nastygrams.

(By the way, Marty, he thinks nd.edu is in your state, not mine, I suppose
I should set him straight one of these times, but if he can't figure out
how to lookup a domain name correctly.... :-) )

Are there list settings I should be checking for the gateway which would
change how duplcate messages are handled?  (It's set for full headers,
but that shouldn't matter, even if it is correct!) If I SERVE OFF the
abusive user, would that prevent him from getting one of these hideous,
heretical, awful signs of the impending Armegeddon to which he so objects?
Would it also cause his postings not to be replicated to the list?  (The
latter would be considered undesireable, in case that's not clear.  :-) )

I don't care to disable duplicate checking or even chnage the limit for how
far back LISTSERV checks for duplicates.  I'm mostly just interested in
supressing the message if the note has been through a gateway already.

Sigh,
Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-10 at the University of Notre Dame!
* User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations from other
* vendors in an intimate, informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!