Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 11:37:51 CST
   A few days ago I got a report of duplicated e-mail messages from our
ROOTS-L list to a recipient served by the LISTSERV at UKACRL.  The
recipient said it looked like the duplication was happening before the
mail got to UKACRL.  Indeed, I checked with three other ROOTS-L susbscribers
with AC.UK addresses and two immediately responded that they have been
getting duplicates too (the original person had gotten NINE copies of one
item but usually didn't get than many copies).  According to a debug
distribute job the AC.UK mail is distributed by LISTSERV@UKACRL which
in turn gets routed from here through [log in to unmask]

   Overnight I received a duplicate copy of the digest of the RECMGMT list
out of SUVM.  I have seen files duplicated when an NJE link over TCP/IP
is unstable - the duplication is more likely because the final ack takes
relatively longer than the other transfers (if I remember right).  But I
don't know if this is a BITNET or LISTSERV Backbone or local phenomenon.

   I don't have a good working link monitor here so for all I know it could
be our link to UIUCVM42 that is doing this.  But I only found one case in
the past 36 hours where that link was restarted.

   I will include some of the node contacts in a blind carbon copy in
case they have seen anything.

   Thanks for any observations you can share.

       Marty Hoag

Marty Hoag   [log in to unmask]            US Mail: NDSU ITS
ND Higher Education Computer Network                IACC Room 206
Phone: (701)-231-8639  Fax: (701)-231-8541          PO Box 5164
Bitnet: nu021172@NDSUVM1  (note 0=zero)             Fargo, ND  58105
On Oct. 1, 1994 our campus phone prefix changed to 231.