Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 01:27:20 +0200
On Mon, 2 Aug 1993 09:47:23 EST Greg Monroe <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Since you're  going to make folk  think about their Template  files, how
>about  adding an  INFO section  combined  with a  new option/command  to
>request it.

Good idea, but...

>1) A short  paragraph describing the focus of the  list. The default may
>   be just the long name and comment info in the header file. Hopefully,
>   listowners would  be encouraged to  customize it with a  paragraph or
>   two.
>
>2) The number of current subscribers.
>
>3)  Some 'human  language'  descriptions  of various  key  words in  the
>   header, such  as "Subscription to this  list is open to  the public",
>   "The list is  run by xxxx whose mail address  is [log in to unmask]", "The list
>   is archived in [monthy, weekly,...] logs", "This list is available in
>   digest/summary format", etc.

If it's a template, it's dumb text  and none of the above. Sure, name and
title of  list, no problem,  number of subscribers  if you insist.  But a
template isn't  a program, it can't  go hunting into the  list header for
paragraph-style  descriptions.   It  can   check  any  keyword   and  can
conditionally include  or exclude bits  of text,  but there are  about 45
keywords,  many  with  a  complex  syntax  and  an  arbitrary  number  of
parameters.  Any keyword  describing  "who  can do  what"  falls in  that
category, and that  includes all the important ones. Sure,  you can write
text for the simple cases, like  "Subscription= Open", but that means you
will sometimes  have text like "Subscription  to XYZ-L is open  to anyone
who... heck,  I can't  figure it  out, it's too  complicated" :-)  At any
rate, the template processor isn't enough of a programming language to do
that sort of things,  and even if someone were to be  courageous to do it
I'd then wish good luck to the poor list owners who try to modify it :-)

>Or,  on the  simpler side,  it would  make it  easy for  an automaticaly
>updated "complete list of lists" to be created with more useful details.

Actually  it's not  simple  at  all, because  template  files  are not  a
database and their contents may contain substitutions which would have to
be  processed  before  the  results  could potentially  be  stored  in  a
database. In other words, there is  no point storing a bunch of &LISTNAME
and &TITLE and .bb &KWD(BLAH) = YES  into a database. You need to execute
these instructions with  the right input and save the  results. Now let's
assume you  customize the  template to give  extra instructions  to local
users. This is a  very reasonable and logical thing to  do: use the power
of  the  template  processor  to   help  local  users  without  including
irrelevant  and possibly  confusing instructions  in text  being sent  to
other subscribers.  Should the database contains  this local information?
Your local users are likely to be  the main users of the database on your
local server, so  the answer sounds like  it should be yes.  On the other
hand, remote users  are a lot more  numerous, so it should be  no. And at
any rate  LISTSERV can't know  this is  local information, it  just knows
this is  a .BB instructions which  happens to look up  the &WHOM variable
and look for XYZ.EDU in it.

The problem in my experience is  that people don't bother documenting the
lists - there are maybe 2 lines  in the header saying "The INFO-BLEH list
is a list  carrying information about blehs". Maybe this  is because they
feel it is  not worth their time  as the REVIEW command is  not the ideal
way to get info  about a list, maybe they just don't  have time or aren't
interested.

  Eric