Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:36:40 -0700
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:48:04 -0600, Anne Harwell Toal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>My question is what exactly is supposed to be in "peer1?" Is it the full
>listserv name, such as [log in to unmask], or is it just the
>hostname listserv.somewhere.org?

An example may be found by looking at the header of this list (LSTSRV-L) which
anyone may do by means of the INFO LSTSRV-L command sent to LISTSERV@...

Remember Peering was originally created to address trans-atlantic bandwidth
reduction issues where lists had people both in Europe and in the USA.  (There
was not lots of undersea fibre or satellite circuits in 1986.  High speed
dialup was 9600 bps!  Times have changed.)

The LISTNAME at each peer must have exactly the same name.  Obviously both
peers must be running LISTSERV (at least ver 1.8c as I recall, although 1.8b
may be enough).  Both lists must also be subscribed to each other.  It can be
pretty tricky to setup, but once running it works fine.

*
* LISTSERV give-and-take forum
*
*  Review= Owner     Subscription= Open,Confirm Send= Public
*  Notify= No        Reply-to= List,Ignore      Files= No
*  Stats=  Normal,Private                       Validate= No
*  Notebook= Yes,E:\LISTS\LSTSRV-L,Monthly,Public
*  Peers=  LISTSERV.UGA.EDU,SEARN,PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
*  Default-Options= REVIEW
*  Language= NoHTML
*  Attachments= No,Filter
* {1 line hidden}
*
*  Owner=  ERIC@SEARN       (Eric Thomas)
*  Owner=  [log in to unmask]
*  Owner=  Quiet:
*  Owner=  [log in to unmask] (Nathan Brindle)
*  Owner=  [log in to unmask] (Harold C. Pritchett)
*  Editor= [log in to unmask] (Nathan Brindle)
*  Editor= [log in to unmask] (Eric Thomas)
*  Editor= [log in to unmask]   (Eric Thomas)
*  Moderator= All,[log in to unmask]
* {1 line hidden}