Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 Feb 1991 02:46:44 +0100
On Thu, 31  Jan 91 19:43:19 EST  Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
said:
>This one bit  me last night. I  used the online command  to put listserv
>back on processing files, assuming that it would go back offline when it
>hit the system or rscs max again. WRONG!

The purpose of OFFLINE and ONLINE  is to *bypass* the automatic checking.
You may decide that, even though it went off by itself, you still want it
to keep running under your control. Or  you may want it to go offline for
independent reasons.

>Suggest that  the offline  and online commands  simply trigger  the same
>conditions that the high and low file counts trigger.

Then  they  would be  a  no-operation  if the  system  is  in a  "normal"
situation: you would say OFFLINE, it  would go offline, find out that the
spool situation  is back to normal,  and go online again.  The purpose of
the thresholds  is to  allow you  not to have  to use  ONLINE/OFFLINE for
spool problems, and the commands are here as a manual override.

>By the way,  how do you get  LISTSERV back into automatic  mode after an
>online or offline command.

A manual  OFFLINE is  permanent until  you issue a  manual ONLINE,  as it
means you don't want your server to  do anything until told to. So if you
had issued a  manual OFFLINE, you must first issue  a manual ONLINE; then
you can reboot the server to go back to automatic mode. If you are in the
hysteresis zone, rebooting the server will also cause activity to resume.

  Eric